Business Filings

What is the difference between a “foreign” and “domestic” corporation/LLC/nonprofit?

A business is considered “domestic” when it conducts business in the state it was formed. A business is considered “foreign” when it originated in another state but would like to conduct business in Iowa. All businesses outside of Iowa must register their foreign entity with the Iowa Secretary of State before they can do business in Iowa.

What is a registered agent?

A registered agent is an individual or entity designated to receive legal documents on behalf of your business. An owner or employee of a company may act as the registered agent so long as the individual resides in Iowa, has attained the age of 18 years and has an office within the boundaries of the State of Iowa.

What happens if my business misses the deadline to file a Biennial Report?

Biennial reports must be filed and delivered to the Secretary of State between January 1 and April 1. If you miss the deadline, you will receive a notification of delinquency from the Secretary of State. If you still have not filed your Biennial Report by August, you will be either dissolved (domestic entity) or revoked (foreign entity). You will then have to apply for reinstatement.